To overcome feelings of guilt; to cleanse the aura; for atonement.
To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bath-sheba.
1. Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness:
according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
2. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin.
3. For I acknowledge my transgressions:
and my sin is ever before me.
4. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned,
and done this evil in thy sight:
that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest,
and be clear when thou judgest.
5. Behold, I was shapen in iniquity;
and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6. Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts:
and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
7. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean:
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8. Make me to hear joy and gladness;
that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
9. Hide thy face from my sins,
and blot out all mine iniquities.
10. Create in me a clean heart, O God;
and renew a right spirit within me.
11. Cast me not away from thy presence;
and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation;
and uphold me with thy free spirit.
13. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways;
and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
14. Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation:
and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
15. O Lord, open thou my lips;
and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
16. For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it:
thou delightest not in burnt offering.
17. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit:
a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
18. Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion:
build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
19. Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness,
with burnt offering and whole burnt offering:
then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.