To put the past behind; for strength to overcome unhealthy temptations; for protection in battle;
To the chief Musician upon Shushan-eduth, Michtam of David, to teach; when he strove with Aram-naharaim and with Aram-zobah, when Joab returned, and smote of Edom in the valley of salt twelve thousand.
1. O God, thou hast cast us off, thou hast scattered us, thou hast been displeased;
O turn thyself to us again.
2. Thou hast made the earth to tremble; thou hast broken it:
heal the breaches thereof; for it shaketh.
3. Thou hast shewed thy people hard things:
thou hast made us to drink the wine of astonishment.
4. Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee,
that it may be displayed because of the truth. Selah.
5. That thy beloved may be delivered;
save with thy right hand, and hear me.
6. God hath spoken in his holiness; I will rejoice,
I will divide Shechem, and mete out the valley of Succoth.
7. Gilead is mine, and Manasseh is mine;
Ephraim also is the strength of mine head; Judah is my lawgiver;
8. Moab is my washpot; over Edom will I cast out my shoe:
Philistia, triumph thou because of me.
9. Who will bring me into the strong city?
who will lead me into Edom?
10. Wilt not thou, O God, which hadst cast us off?
and thou, O God, which didst not go out with our armies?
11. Give us help from trouble:
for vain is the help of man.
12. Through God we shall do valiantly: